Neurological Care for Pets
At our emergency and referral hospital in Burlington, our board-certified veterinary neurologist provides comprehensive medical and surgical care for pets with neurological conditions that affect the function and development of the nervous system.
During your appointment, our neurology specialist will conduct a thorough neurological exam to determine if, and which part, of your pet's nervous system is impacted.
Following the exam, our neurologist, Dr. Pareja, will explain the most probable causes for your pet's issues. We'll use diagnostic imaging and MRI to identify the precise cause and available treatment, which may include surgery, medical therapy or continuing care.
Board-Certified Veterinary Neurologist
Dr. Augusto Pareja, B Comm, DVM, DACVIM is available Tuesday to Friday.
Common Neurologic Conditions
Neurological conditions in pets commonly treated by our veterinary neurologist include:
- Intervertebral disc disease
- Encephalitis and meningitis
- Epilepsy, especially difficult to manage or refractory cases
- Brain and spinal tumours
- Syringomyelia/Occipital malformation
- Chronic pain
- Stroke and fibrocartilagenous embolism (FCE)
- Degenerative myelopathy
- Complete neurologic exam and lesion localization
- MRI and CT interpretation
- Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) collection and evaluation
- Hemilaminectomy and ventral slot decompression for IVDD
- Spinal tumour removal or biopsy
- Dorsal laminectomy for Lumbosacral (LS) stenosis
- Nerve and muscle biopsy